Dunn County, ND and the Bakken Shale Play
Dunn County (2,082 sq miles) is located in North Dakota and sits atop the Bakken Shale play. It is one of 16 active oil & gas producing counties in our North Dakota coverage area, and is inside the core area for production.
Dunn County didn't have any measurable oil production until 1960, and overall production stayed relatively flat until the Bakken boom. In 2007, production started to climb, and from 2009 to 2013, oil production alone grew by ~477%. The county recorded its highest total monthly oil production (173,066 b/d) in June 2014.
Dunn's largest cities are Dodge, Dunn Center, Halliday, and Killdeer. The unincorporated city of Manning serves as the county seat. County services of interest to oil and gas lease owners include the Dunn County Appraisal District (tax collector) office and the Dunn County Clerk (property records) office.
Dunn County – Bakken Shale Employment Statistics
The following information is provided by the North Dakota Workforce Intelligence Network (NDWIN) for Divide County, ND:
- Directly related oil & gas businesses: 168 (2013)
- Oil & Gas employment: 2,055 people, representing 73% of population (2013)
- Average wage for oil & gas professionals: $87,067 (2013)
Dunn County Oil & Gas Discussion Forum
Join the Dunn County Discussion Group today - your voice counts!
MineralRightsForum.com is a discussion network for mineral owners, royalty owners, and industry professionals to discuss oil & gas related topics.
Major Operators in Dunn
Marathon, Continental and Burlington are the largest operators by production volume in Dunn County.
E&P Companies with Operations in Dunn
- Armstrong Operating, Inc.
- Burlington Resources Oil & Gas Company LP
- Citation Oil & Gas Corp.
- Continental Resources, Inc.
- Enerplus Resources USA Corp.
- Hess Bakken Investments II, LLC
- Hunt Oil Company
- Marathon Oil Company
- Newfield Production Company
- Oxy USA Inc.
- Petro-Hunt, LLC
- QEP Energy Company
- Sinclair Oil and Gas Company
- Slawson Exploration Company, Inc.
- Whiting Oil And Gas Corp.
- WPX Energy Williston, LLC
- XTO Energy Inc.
Dunn County Pipeline Companies
- Four Bears
- Northern Border
- Targa Resources
- WBI Energy